Volition is searching for a Senior Designer to join our System Design team, to be responsible for Living World design on an ambitious and exciting open world game. The successful candidate will have a proven track record designing various game systems such as AI behavior, progression, combat, vehicles, weapons, player control, and difficulty balancing for AAA open world games.
Work on cross-discipline teams to design and develop gameplay systems for the product. Specific responsibilities may include AI behavior, progression, combat, player control, weapons, and/or other systems. For each area of responsibility, the Senior Systems Designer is expected to do the following:
- Understand how the system fits within the strategic overview of the product design
- Ensure that the player experience fulfills the vision of the game
- Drive the quality, planning, scripting, pacing, implementation, and polish of the system
- Provide input on milestone work assignments, estimates, and dependencies for related goals and tasks
- Ensure deliverables meet expectations for completeness, quality, balance, vision, and player emotion
- Ensure that relevant team members understand high-level goals for the system as well as low-level specifications, dependencies, and workflows
- Evangelize for the needs of the player. Work with user experience researchers to define goals for player testing and data gathering
- Drive an on-going competitive analysis to assess the quality and scope of the player experience against that of the competition
- May be tasked with other duties and responsibilities in support of the project design team
- At least five years of professional industry experience with significant responsibilities in systems design. Proven track record with AAA console products
- Positive, professional attitude. Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to think creatively and analytically. An in-depth understanding of how gameplay works and how to create fun, meaningful experiences for the player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to multitask and be flexible about changing role requirements
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically. A broad knowledge base of console action and open world games
- Experience in AI behavior design is a plus
Sample Work Required.
Please provide samples of your design work (e.g., videos or instructions for viewing content in shipped retail products; downloadable and playable levels). Any supplemental materials demonstrating skills relevant to this position are also encouraged.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and sample work to [email protected] with “Senior System Designer” in the subject line, or click on the “Apply for Job” button below.