Hello! My name is Nick Owens. I am the Studio Art Director for Deep Silver Volition and I need two art managers for my department. I am looking for experienced leaders in art dedicated to building a culture of trust, transparency, and sustainable leadership for our department. You’ll be working with our brilliant, talented, committed art leads to help them become the finest leaders in the industry. Through your experience leading art teams, you’ll help our leads learn how to manage their own artists. You’ll lead a small number of those leads and their teams and develop a structure that supports our artists and helps them take their creativity and talent wherever they want to go.
I believe trust and candor are some of the most important qualities in a leader, and that art teams are at their best when they reflect the diversity in the worldwide community who play our games. If you share these values and know how to foster them in others, I’d like to hear from you.
This is a remote-friendly position. We are open to considering candidates who would like to work from our Studio in Champaign, IL, and we are also open to considering candidates who desire to work remotely.
- Directly manage and mentor a small group of art leads and their teams, providing ongoing performance feedback, and career development goals.
- Manage art leads’ performance, including any required performance improvement plans and disciplinary action, regular reviews, and promotions.
- Work with the Studio Art Director and your leads to identify staffing needs and then source, interview, and hire new talent.
- Develop and manage feedback gathering processes for leads and their reports.
- Work with leads to determine their teams’ capacity to create content and ensure that work is assigned appropriately and serves project needs.
- Work with the other Art Manager and the Studio Art Director to determine our needs for the training of art leads and their teams, and develop a plan for training them.
- Cultivate excellent collaboration among art groups and with those in other development departments.
- Manage art lead authority and boundaries.
- Foster a healthy art culture of critique and feedback.
- Unify the art leads as a group and set high standards for leadership in their content areas.
- Ensure the work done in our content groups meets a high standard for quality and craftsmanship.
- Collaborate with the other Art Manager and the Studio Art Director on internal visual communications, such as posters, banners, presentations, etc.
- Multiple shipped console titles in an art leadership role.
- Experience building, leading, and nurturing an art team.
- Expertise in setting goals for direct reports and evaluating progress towards them.
- A deep understanding of the tools, pipelines, and processes required for creating AAA game art assets.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- A thorough understanding of the development of AAA titles.
- A strong background in traditional art.
- Familiarity with multiple engines and toolsets.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] with “Art Manager” in the subject line, or click on the “Apply for Job” button below. When you apply, in the body of your email please indicate your preference between working in our studio vs. working remotely. If it is your preference to work remotely, please also indicate which state in the U.S. you intend to work remotely from.
At Deep Silver Volition we believe in fostering an open, collaborative, and diverse environment, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will consider all qualified applicants without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or military status.